[CLUE-Talk] The Microsoft penalty that isn't - Tech News - CNET.com

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Wed Apr 17 12:08:44 MDT 2002

I made the comment a while back at how businesses mysteriously loose their
common sense when it comes to computers.  Business tactics and product
failures that would  normally kill a company in other industries, instead
elevate tech companies into a larger market share.

I feel as though this is a sign of our time, in that our society is
progressing towards a state where people work solely in a
"productivity-niche", becoming less of the renaissance man, and relying on
the experts of particular fields for service.  For example, consider the
dentist who knows teeth but can't work on his car and thus employs someone
else to work on his car for him.  I can see the benefits of this kind of
symbiotic system, namely greater productivity as a whole, and I support it.

But I feel that it will not work for us due to some other trends occurring
at the same time.  People are also losing their ability to think critically
and make their own solutions.  People are becoming unable to apply lessons
learned in the industry where they are a producer to an analogous industry
as a consumer.  Consequently, suave marketing campaigns have become more
effective than a quality product or service.

It should be very important to us that people either learn about computers
or learn to act as responsible, thoughtful consumers.  The same goes with
the accounting, automobile, food, medical, and construction industries, in
as much as we rely on these industries for (basic) survival in this system.

Chris