[CLUE-Talk] The Microsoft penalty that isn't - Tech News - CNET.com

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Wed Apr 17 14:57:19 MDT 2002

Zonker -

I like your distinction between customer and consumer.  I used the term
"consumer" because I tend to think that even though I do have a choice of
where I take my business, too often one choice isn't any better or worse
than the other.  A good example is local phone service -- Qwest or AT&T,
they are both terrible companies.  I feel like a cow lining up for the
trough.  Nevertheless, I do strive to be a customer, and strive to help
those I come in contact with to be customers as well.

About job specialization, it is amazing to me how so many companies are
unwilling to hire a person over a skill set.  My company hasn't had the
opportunity to hire anybody yet, but we have had many discussions about how
we are going to go about doing it.  We are far more interested in the
personality and eagerness to learn and work hard, than whether or not they
have a SAIR, J2EE or MBA.  Hopefully you can find someplace that thinks more
like you and I do...

There is nothing that frustrates me more than somebody saying "Computers? I
can't do computers" or worse, "I can't do math".  Of course you can't do
math, schools don't know how to teach it to you!

Ahh, nothing like a good rant...

Chris