[CLUE-Talk] 9 News Spam ...

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Thu Apr 25 15:20:57 MDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 03:00:18PM -0600, Steve Fry wrote:
> SO, I don't recall EVER signing up for any lists at 9-News.  Would I be
> out of line then to suggest that 9-News are spammers and all Internet
> users should consider them as such?

Looks like it's a hoax.  You didn't include the envelope headers of the
email (crucial in tracking spam), but look at the domain it's from:
ronindev.com.  That's a domain registered to somebody in AR.  9News' domain
is KUSA.com.  While it's possible that, if 9News *were* spamming, they
might want to use a different domain, it's pretty suspicious all the same.

Also, notice the link:
http://www.ronindev.com/kusa/etm.dll/04252002-C?09NEWSSPAMSUCKS

I doubt 9News, even if they were spamming, would have a link ending in
"9NEWSSPAMSUCKS".

Since somebody obviously knows you're in Colorado (i.e., it's a local news
station), my guess is that you might have a friend pulling your leg.

Maybe you should submit this to Paula Woodward... :-)

-k