[CLUE-Talk] JSP and browsers?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Aug 1 19:01:11 MDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 06:46:31PM -0600, David Anselmi wrote:

> >invoice from a recent expo (Boulder Chamber Of
> >Commerce one), and I noticed on the URL that the
> >site was JSP (I presume Java Server Pages?), yet
> >the site was only oriented for M$ Internet Explorer
> >5.0 (noted on the bottom of the page)?!?
>
> JSP doesn't have anything to do with .NET.  Contrary to what Matt said,
> .NET is for developing all sorts of apps.

That's not really contrary to what I said. My point was that .NET (to
the extent that it is more than a marketing concept) is first and
foremost about a networked infrastructure, with the notion of Web
Services at its core; thus, there is no particular reason to suppose
that a web site's being IE-specific has anything to do with .NET.

> services is just another UI, so to speak.  .NET is all about pushing
> programmers into a controlled environment so they can't blue screen the
> OS anymore.  (Well, really it's all about money,

--and sticking it to Sun Microsystems. Really. It's amazing how much
energy those two companies waste on hating each other (though Microsoft
is probably worse in that respect). I was at MS headquarters a couple of
years ago, and saw that they had rolls of toilet paper imprinted with
the Sun logo.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA