[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Dec 1 12:13:33 MST 2002

Sean LeBlanc wrote:
[...]
> "There are 30 million Americans living without enough food."
>
> Huh? How many Americans are there? 350 million? So, according to this
> statement (without a cite, I noticed), there are just under 1 out of 12
> people without enough food? I don't mean to whitewash the issue, but that
> sounds just a *tad* inflated. And I thought conservatives were resorting to
> hyperbole when they said that the media always seems to "discover" the
> homeless and hungry in this country whenever there is a sitting Republican
> president...

2000 census: 281.4 million Americans

I'm not sure how to read the poverty level numbers.  It seems to say
33.9M (12%) of individuals are below the poverty level.  Poverty level
is an income on the order of $20k/year.  Does that mean those people
don't have enough food?

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Dave