[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sun Dec 1 20:28:58 MST 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 11:42 am, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> "There are 30 million Americans living without enough food."
>
> Huh? How many Americans are there? 350 million? So, according to this
> statement (without a cite, I noticed), there are just under 1 out of 12
> people without enough food? I don't mean to whitewash the issue, but that
> sounds just a *tad* inflated. And I thought conservatives were resorting to
> hyperbole when they said that the media always seems to "discover" the
> homeless and hungry in this country whenever there is a sitting Republican
> president...

All,

Regardless of your personal feelings about the film maker, I would think that
folks responding to Sean's statements would look around for some other
statistics about hunger in the US before you decry someone's statements.

Check out the Food Bank of the Rockies web site:

 + http://www.foodbankrockies.org/hunger.cfm

"33 million Americans are struggling to meet their basic food needs. 12
million are children, a disproportionate amount (35.7%) as they are only
one-forth (25.6%) of the population. (Poverty in the United States: 2001, US
Census Bureau)"

Now, I'm not sure if this is more or less valid than MMs web site. It
certainly is in the ball park.  If you believe that someone is exaggerating
these facts, then why not check out some of the publically-available census
data or other well-known places to get such data?

Sheesh...

--
    planet earth (tm)
http://jefferycann.com/