[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Mon Dec 2 14:06:20 MST 2002

On Monday,  2 December 2002 at 14:40:14 -0700, grant <grant at amadensor.com> wrote:

<--SNIP-->

> I look at it like a car.  Check their background (you can't get a license
> with too many tickets).  Make them take a proficiency test, and let things
> go from there.  Safest possible solution.

But one must remember that we have a 2nd Amendment right to own firearms.
There is no corresponding right to own or operate a vehicle.  A vehicle
operators license is a privledge granted by the issuing state.  The
firearm <--> car analogy is used often, but isn't really applicable.
Background checks or proficiency exams are not required before one can
exercise thier right to free speech or to practice religion.

> Also remember.  Making it illegal to own these will not stop criminals.
> They are criminals, therefore they have already decided to break the law.
> The law will not deter them.  It will only deter those who are law abiding
> citizens, and make the more vulnerable to the criminals, who know that
> their prey is defenseless.

I agree.
--
Allons Rouler!