[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

bof bof at pcisys.net
Mon Dec 2 14:33:35 MST 2002

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, bof wrote:
>
>And which is why I will boycott the film: I refuse to put any more money
>into the coffers of such scum to allow them to continue the hate-crime
>filled pogroms that they conduct against gun owners.
>
>Hate-crime? Huh?

Take a look at the way gun owners are portrayed in any of the editorial
cartoons of the local papers or on TV or in movies: they are usually
low-brow, knuckle-dragging redneck slobs. Even worse is the way the NRA
is shown, associating it with terrorists, the Mafia, as
cop/child-killers, slob hunters, etc. The latest distortion that I
recall is the use of the word "weapons of mass destruction" in talking
about small arms like rifles and pistols.

If any other group were shown in such manner, the screams from the media
and the liberal community would be unbelievable.

But because the protrayal is of gun-owners (an activity which is, BTW,
still legal in most of the US) it is acceptable. After all, any
reasonable person knows that guns are only made to kill people, and that
no one, even police and military, really need a gun when simple
reasoning and sitting down and talking would resolve the problem.

BOF