[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Dec 2 18:12:23 MST 2002

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:40:52 -0700
bof <bof at pcisys.net> wrote:

> Arms, in the intent of those who framed the Constitution, were guns

Not to quibble, since we're on the same side here, but early militia laws
referenced weapons other than firearms. I'd have dig up some books that
are boxed up to get the exact reference, but IIRC polearms were mentioned
in at least one state's laws -- you know, fun, up-close-and-personal
weapons, such as the pike. Certainly, regardless of its utility, the
cavalry sabre would have been considered a militia weapon until the end of
WWI.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5