[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Dec 2 22:17:52 MST 2002

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 21:36:08 -0700
Randy Arabie <randy at arabie.org> wrote:

> That's fine for purposes of debate.  However, that isn't the way
> Constitutional law works.  The Constitution is *right* until it is
> amended or the specific provision in question is overturned via a
> Supreme Court Ruling. Just as an individual is "innocent until proven
> guilty", the Constitution is right until proven wrong.  The burden of
> proof is on the plaintiff, not the defendant.--

Uh, hang on there. The Supreme Court cannot overturn anything in the U.S.
Constitution. They can declare that any law is unconsitutional, or they
may overturn other court rulings. True, they have the ability to say "this
is what the Constitution means", and apply that to their decision on those
matters over which they have jurisdiction, but that's a far cry from
overturning it.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5