[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Mon Dec 2 23:49:43 MST 2002

On 12-02 22:17, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, bof wrote:
>
> > Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> >
> > >That doesn't make it a "hate-crime," it isn't a crime to perpetuate a
> > >negative stereotype about a group of people.
> > >

> > Really? Try walking around the Denver City Hall or the CU campus with a
> > sign that says "Gays/Black/Lesbians/Gunowners (your choice) suck," and
> > see what happens.
>
> Yeah. Really.
>
> You walk around City Hall or the CU campus with *any* sign, and you're
> likely to be asked to leave -- just because you have a right to free
> speech doesn't mean you have the right to exercise it anywhere you
> feel like it.
>
> You won't be arrested because of the message on your sign, you can
> be as politically incorrect as you please -- there's no law against
> that.

Well, maybe not...or is there? I find the n-word repugnant, but does it
warrant jail time?

http://www.americanfreepress.net/Police_State/Hate_Crime_Charge_Turns_Justic/hate_crime_charge_turns_justic.html

Yes, I realize there are already limits on free speech, like not being able
to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, inciting people to violence, death
threats, etc...but this is going beyond those, and trying to determine what
is Double-Plus Good Speech, and what isn't. Notice the mention of the UN
flag burning and Alabama?!! Good grief.

Side note: some folks seem to get a pass on this, and that's where the real
hypocrisy shows itself: Senator Byrd said the n-word TWICE on national
television, IIRC, and the press barely batted an eye:

http://www.joe4rep.com/KC%203-14-01.htm

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Paul Revere Virus: This revolutionary virus does not horse around. It warns
you of impending hard disk attack: Once, if by LAN; twice if by C.