[CLUE-Talk] backgrounding ssh-X sessions

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Tue Dec 3 18:23:05 MST 2002

Clueful-ones

I am happy to be able to run X-applications remotely thru an ssh tunnel.
What I would like to do is 'background' the task that sets up the
tunnel.

What I mean is this ... if i run:

ssh davep at dp.kinaole.org "jpilot"

I get my palm desktop on the remote screen, but the xterm that launched
the ssh session is 'tied up' until I exit jpolot.  If this were a local
X-app, I would launch it with "jpilot &" and get the xterm prompt back
right away.

Remotely, I have tried:

[davep at ldpx:~]$ ssh dp "jpilot" &
[1] 2392
[davep at ldpx:~]$ davep at dp's password:
*********
bash: *********: command not found

[1]+  Stopped                 ssh dp "jpilot"
[davep at ldpx:~]$

Not what I want ...

and:

[davep at ldpx:~]$ ssh dp "jpilot &"
davep at dp's password:
Waiting for forwarded connections to terminate...
The following connections are open:
  #1 X11 connection from dp.kinaole.org port 33351 (t3 r-1 i1/0 o16/0)

Still no prompt ...

Is there a syntax to launch the tunneled app and get my prompt back?

aloha,
dave