[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Dec 6 06:49:29 MST 2002

On Thursday 05 December 2002 11:48 pm, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> OK, where in history are the above statements true if you go back 100
> years?

Kevin, you know that this is a fact of the Industrial Revolution -- jobs are
constantly being automated out of existence.  How many people do you know who
do the following:

 + Repair shoes?
 + Work on a farm?  (100 years ago, 90% of Americans did this, now 5%)
 + Make furniture
 + Work as phone operators

Huh?  Come on guys, quite whinning!!

> I'm not whining.  I accept the fact that my job won't exist in 20 years.

> Yes,  I agree that it
> sucks that PHBs move stuff overseas to "cut" costs, but I can blame part
> of the problem on the techies: they don't want to get out of the server
> room and into the Boardroom to see how they can do better!!  I mean,
> don't think of your coding skills as a job, but how can you make your
> skills make someone's job/business/life better?  Solve something!!!
> Yea, American PHBs are short sighted for sure and greedy (and GREED is
> bad, but profit is not), but let's get off our butt and use what God has
> given us and THINK our way out of this problem. Come up with some new
> solutions to problems, band together with some out of work PHBs (like me
> ;-) ) and solve something with code, write better code, find out a
> better way of doing things, see what else you can do with your life.

This is fine and dandy for some techies who have savvy social skills.  Not
everyone can 'leap out of the server room' and into the board room.  I have
seen this happen many times:  best techie gets promoted to director and then
flames out and quits because he cannot handle the social aspects of the
management job.

Thanks for the comments.

Jeff
--