[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Fri Dec 6 09:19:02 MST 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Dusty Campbell wrote:

> Let's not forget about becoming an entrepreneur.  You don't have to work
> for someone else.

There's something to be said for that... but, who will you contract
with or sell services to if half the jobs in this country migrate
overseas? It's not just tech jobs, it's call centers and processing work
and a host of other jobs... granted, the call centers aren't exactly
high-paying or highly skilled labor... but every job that gets shipped
out is one less person earning a living here. Each new layoff means that
some company (or companies, really) isn't going to make a sale in some
other area, which threatens other jobs...

I think this is a very, very serious problem and people should be
getting active about it. Any other country would be taxing the hell out
of companies that "outsource" that much labor elsewhere. The companies
that are doing this are terribly short-sighted... sure, they save some
money now, but they're killing the economy in the process and reducing
the future market for their products and such.

It's not that we're "entitled" to jobs -- but we are "entitled" to stand
up for ourselves. We need to start telling our government to start
protecting American jobs and to stop allowing companies to put us out of
work while exporing currency to other countries -- particularly when
many of those companies are getting work from government contracts that
we end up paying for.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier