[CLUE-Talk] RE: [CLUE-Admin] I'm new...

Marcin marbej at wp.pl
Mon Dec 9 05:48:49 MST 2002

This is my answer for Anselmi David's post on the CLUE-Admin list.
I'm answering on this list because CLUE-Talk is better for subject of my
following letter.

Hello,

> Hi, welcome!  Perhaps we should set up a map of where our
> members are ;-)
In my opinion it's a good idea and it's very interesting :) Who can do
this map? How many people are from Europe? Maybe someone is from Poland
;)

> Not at all.  I hope our English isn't too hard for you to understand
Actually it's easy - with dictionary of course ;) Sometimes really it's
very hard, but... sometimes :)
It's easy read in English, but write something in English is most
difficult ;)
English grammar and Polish grammar isn't the same (are different)
And idioms... e.g. "to hang together" - it's very funny because in
Poland we say "to hold together" or "from bad to worse", we say "from
rain under gutter"

> (our Polish would certainly be worse ;-)
Look at examples:

En                            Pl
computer is :             komputer
programme is :          program
disc is :                    dysk
modem is :               modem
diskette is :              dyskietka
system is :               system
operating system is : system operacyjny
administrator is :       administrator
astronomy is :          astronomia
cosmos is :              kosmos
etc, etc, etc ;)
only beer is :             piwo ;)))

Now you see that Polish language isn't very hard ;)

Regards,
Marcin Betlej
e-mail: marbej at wp.pl