[CLUE-Talk] RH or Deb ?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Mon Dec 9 06:49:04 MST 2002

Hi Marcin,

> I've got a little question to US CLUE members:
> which linux RedHat or Debian GNU/Linux is most popular in the USA and
> why?

Red Hat is always at the top of the list with about 50% of the
users in North America -- at least if you believe analyst firms.

They're usually the top retail seller of Linux, though Mandrake
and SuSE have been cracking the market there.

As far as "why" Red Hat is more popular... they managed to grab
an early lead on market share, and they've become something of
a de facto standard. They have good corporate support, which is
where most adoption of Linux is happening in the U.S. (Well,
corporate, government and educational institutions -- not home
use.)

That doesn't mean a lot, though, in terms of which one is
actually better. That's pretty much for the user to decide.

I prefer Debian to Red Hat, but if I need a Red Hat compatible
distro I prefer to use KRUD.
http://www.tummy.com/krud

Take care,

Zonker