[CLUE-Talk] TIA

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sat Dec 14 17:36:20 MST 2002

Total Information Awareness project (i.e., Big Brother), brought to you by
DARPA (gotta love the logo):

 + http://www.darpa.mil/iao/TIASystems.htm

Here's some highlights from the 'plan':

~ Expand Communications Surveillance Capabilities - TIA wants computers to
look and listen for "interesting" information and patterns in our electronic
communications (phone calls, e-mail, instant messaging, websites, etc.) using
speech-to-text, language translation and text-mining technologies.

~ Link and Search All Public and Private Databases - TIA wants to build a
virtual "meta-base" of information that would include everything from your
child's medical history to what groceries you buy. This would also be
passively searched for patterns.

~ Biometric Identification - TIA proposes aggressive research into biometric
surveillance technology like facial, iris, expression, and gait recognition.
This technology would allow your movements to be tracked without your consent
or knowledge.
---

Like most government initiatives, the 'plan' is to use such software and
database to 'only fight terrorism'.  Unfortunately, once such a system is
built, I believe there will be other law enforcement agencies looking to mine
information from it.  The real question is this:  do you trust our government
with such a complete package of information about its citizens?  I do not.

This is a critical time in our country.  We need to act now to preserve the
liberties you and I take for granted.  I urge you to read about this
initiative and then write your Federal Representatives (including the
President) to tell them your thoughts.  Here's some additional information
from EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation)

 + http://www.eff.org/Privacy/TIA

Also, if you are already not a member of the EFF, please consider joining.

Jeff

--
    planet earth (tm)
http://jefferycann.com/