[CLUE-Talk] Media outlets

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Dec 19 12:36:02 MST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:39:34 -0700
Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:

> On 12-18 06:38, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> >
> > Please post any links to your favorite news shows.

Well, it's tangental, but I've been using Amphetadesk.
http://www.disobey.com/amphetadesk/

I can't say I've come up with optimal mix of RSS feeds yet. Lots of
places, like Christian Science Monitor, UPI, BBC and Reuters, produce
feeds. I've also found that I find more interesting stories and commentary
by surfing weblogs. Seems the blogging community is often more "on the
ball", or get further into the backstory, than the major media outlets. Of
course, there's a lot of sifting necessary when going the blog route.

I also check: www.unknownnews.net www.usnewswire.com/topnews/current.htm
www.daypop.com/news/ http://www.theregister.co.uk/

For example, this was on daypop just now:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/usapatriot_oakland021217.html

If you decide to try out AmphetaDesk, one caveat: don't use the "perl
-MCPAN ..." method to get needed modules, unless you're already at Perl
5.8. I tried it, and wound up with a non-functional 5.6->5.8 upgrade.

I'd be interested to hear of any good RSS feeds for USAPA, Homeland
Security, DRM, DMCA, Privacy, or just general "top headlines". The RSS
feeds from Google News are a little on the dense side, but they cover a
lot of ground.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5