[CLUE-Talk] Where your job went...

Jeffery Cann jc_cann at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 23 17:56:21 MST 2002

A few weeks ago, on clue-talk, we debated the future
prospects of IT workers in the U.S.  Some folks
suggested that jobs will be outsourced to other 'less
expensive' countries such as India.

I suggested that efficiences in computers will remove
jobs.  Anyway, I read this today in an airport and
thought it was telling - software that resulted in a
reduction of 30 tech workers to one half-timer:

"Autonomy has enabled employees of such megafirms as
BP, General Electric and General Motors to retrieve
information from their companies' mishmash of
databases around the globe. By installing such
software, GM was able to offer its employees easy
access to each of its 700 intranets and thereby reduce
the tech staff used to maintain these systems from 30
full-time positions to one half-timer."