[CLUE-Talk] ping(8)

Charlie Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Tue Dec 24 18:28:49 MST 2002

At 05:33 PM 12/24/2002 -0700, David Anselmi wrote:

>You might hear that ping stands for Packet InterNet Groper.  That seemed
>contrived to me, and sure enough it is.  Here's the story from the author:
>
>http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/ping.html
>
>If you can't be bothered to read it, the name comes from the sonar world
>(which is what I assumed all along).  But it's a good read, especially the
>book review from Uzbekistan.

If you're a fan of ping, read the first reader review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140502416/qid=1040778813/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-3510575-6845436

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
It is said that a copy of Microsoft Windows 98 played backwards contains a
prayer to Satan.  That is nothing. Play it forwards, and it installs windows!
-- seen on usenet