[CLUE-Talk] Why *YOU* should join the Hacking Society

Sean Reifschneider jafo-cluetalk at tummy.com
Tue Feb 5 00:24:12 MST 2002

Hey folks...  I thought I should drop a message to the folks "down south"
about the new craze that is sweeping the ...  Well, let's just say it's
sweeping!  :-P

It's about bringing geeks together to work on projects.  Hacking in the
"legacy" sense -- not the "running scripts somone else wrote to break into
computers" sense.  It's not so much social, it's a place of positive
energy, condusive to work.  It's amazing what 3 hours of work a week can
produce...

The meetings we're holding up here in Fort Collins are being held the same
night of the week as our regular LUG meetings (Tuesday), on the remaining
nights of the month.  So, the first Tuesday is our LUG meeting, the other
Tuesdays we get together from 8pm to 11pm for the Hacking Society.

Last week was the first week of a meeting starting up in Boulder as well.
Following our example, they're meeting on the other Thursdays of the month.

While it's still fairly early in the life-cycle, it's looking like a
success.

Interested?  Try starting a chapter in your area...  Here's how to start
it:

   Send a message to the LUG or other mailing lists where fellow hackers
   reside and express interest.  Or just follow up to this message.
   Discuss when a good time and what the requirements are.  For example,
   our group largely consists of 802.11b users, so wireless net access was
   a REQUIREMENT.  Maybe you want beer or ???

   Select a location based on the above requirements.  The first several
   months we held them at my house, and were talking about rotating to
   other member's houses.  However, a local business with wireless net
   access offered us use of their conference-room.

   Select a time and location.

   Announce the meetings to mailing lists you are on a few days before
   the actual meeting.

   Mail me and I'll announce the meeting on the web-site, post directions
   and minutes, etc...

   Show up and have fun.

More information is available on:

   http://www.hackingsociety.org/

I'm working on modifying the site to make it more dynamic -- allowing users
to submit journals of what they did at the meetings, and manage the chapter
site data (meeting times/dates, directions, etc).

Enjoy,
Sean
--
 Rocky: "I must be getting near-sighted!  You look all fuzzy..."
 Bullwinkle: "Let's face it, Rock...  I *AM* all fuzzy."