[CLUE-Talk] Privacy and .com domains

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 11 21:31:17 MST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Matt Armstrong wrote:

> I just saw a show about pedophiles tracking down kids via the Internet
> and realized that putting up a .com website amounts to advertising
> your address and phone number.

If you use your home phone and address, yes. Of course, if you are
concerned, you should also have your home phone unlisted as well.
It's just as easy to look someone up via the white pages online
as it is to use whois.

When the system was devised, I don't think they had personal sites
in mind -- it was probably assumed that most domains would be
registered to schools, universities, businesses and other
organizations who would want their phone number to be accessible
for technical issues and such.

> Are there any .com registrars that allow you to keep this stuff
> private?

Almost all do, I believe. I use dotster, I belive they have
that option.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Crime made its appearance during the dawning age of literacy. What
this means is that, as soon as people started to write, they started
writing laws; this is because writing enabled them to do something
they hadn't been able to do before. Writing enabled them to define
in exact, fixed terms the behaviors they wanted the state to regulate,
punish, and suppress." -- Daniel Quinn