[CLUE-Talk] New elxlinux distro

Collins Richey erichey2 at attbi.com
Tue Jan 1 09:55:48 MST 2002

FYI,

There is a new linux distro that I've been running the past few days.  You
can get the details and download at

	www.elxlinux.com

It's gotten mixed reviews from people on the linux-users group, but I like
it thus far.  Elx is maintained by a group of 8 people in India who are
quite responsive to suggestions.  The distro is at the -pre1 level, but
they are working on -pre2 at this time.

I installed elx from the 2 iso cdroms (downloaded and burned), and it
worked flawlessly for me, detecting my sound card, ethernet card, CDROMS
(an IDE writer and an IDE reader), mouse, and monitor with no problems.
It uses dhcp, so it came up on my lan the first time.

Elx provides both gnome and kde desktops, tailored to attract Windows
users.  A copy of OpenOffice 641 (setup for normal user) is provided as
well.  Elx provides both gcc3 and gcc2 compilers, very up-to-date
packages, the latest rpm, etc.  The overall setup is like Mandrake/Redhat.
 I've successfully installed xfce and sylpheed rpms and kernel 2.4.17
(base is 2.4.13).  The system installs to a reiserfs partition (ext3 isn't
supported at that kernel level).

If you like I have a multiboot system, choose the custom install option.
The default install will retain only Windows partitions on your hard
drive, reformatting everything else for linux.  I also chose not to let
elx write to the mbr, creating a boot floppy instead.  After that, I
booted one of my ext3 systems to upgrade the lilo menu on my mbr.  Now
that I've upgraded to 2.4.17, I can do the lilo work from elx as well.
The install chooses an appropriate kernel for you (I've got a K6/II, but
there are 386 and pentium kernels available also).

If anyone has a slow connection for downloads, I could burn a copy of the
CDROMs for you.  Contact me off list.

Happy New Year and happy linux hacking throughout the year.
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - ELX-1 system k2.4.17+xfce+sylpheed