[CLUE-Talk] DMCA News

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Tue Jan 8 17:53:49 MST 2002

Gentle CLUEbies.

The following story describes one vocal proponent of Digital Rights for
Americans.

http://www.zdnet.com/filters/printerfriendly/0,6061,5101325-2,00.html

In his proposal, he would like to reinstate the Fair Use doctrine -- this
idea (upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in the 1970s) gives folks the right to
copy things (like photocopies and VHS tapes) for personal uses.

Unfortunately, the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) of 1998 outlawed
the idea of Fair Use for digital content.  So, everytime you rip a CD into an
MP3 and reburn it, you are technically breaking section 1201 of the DMCA
(<sarcasm> I can tell you feel, badly about your lawlessness...</sarcasm>)

Rep Boucher says:

"I'm very concerned about the DMCA," Boucher said. "There's an increasing
number of instances in which unjust results are reached."

Yes, I totally agree, so let's support Representative Boucher's efforts to
restore our rights to make digital copies of media that we LEGALLY obtained
and own.  Please consider writing your Representatives to express your views.

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Jeff