[CLUE-Talk] Legal breaking of the MS monopoly WAS: Re: [CLUE-Tech] HP laptop

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Thu Jan 17 09:31:06 MST 2002

I agree with voting with our dollars.  However there was a time not so
long ago when that was not an option.  All PC's came with the charge for
a MS OS, even if they did not come with the OS.  I am saying to be
vigilant, and make sure that we continue to have the oportunity to vote
with our dollars.  I have 9 PC's at home.  Only one runs a MS OS.
 Because of licensing terms with the manufacturers, 7 of them have paid
for MS licenses.  Because of the license terms, only the one legally
could have the MS OS on it (I bought the rest used, and those licenses
are non-transferable)

I have voted with my dollars.  I was talking to Gateway.  I spec'ed out
a laptop.  It was very nice, rather top of the line.  I then asked for
NO OS.  They declined.  I then asked for Linux.  They again declined.  I
told the sales person that I was not willing to pay for an expensive
piece of software I would not be using.  I still have my old laptop.  I
tried with IBM as well.  I could get it without windows, but the price
was the same, and MS still got the money.

I am all for voting with my dollars.  This means I am for the following
remedy:
1)  All API's must be open, including middleware.
2)  All file formats must be open, including the internals of the
database files (recovery)
3)  All unsupported software must have all source code released, at
least in print form.
4)  Exclusive contracts with vendors are null, void, and illegal.
5)  Copies of published works are not violation of copyright if the work
is out of print.  (if I can't buy it, how is copying it hurting the
author's livelyhood, which is what copyright is designed to protect)

Apply this across the board.  Software.  Music.  Movies.  Books.  Parts
suppliers for automobiles.