[CLUE-Talk] Legal breaking of the MS monopoly WAS: Re: [CLUE-Tech] HP laptop

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jan 17 10:57:28 MST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 23:37, Matthew Porter wrote:

> Why?  Because Microsoft does not operate in a free market.  Nor does any
> corporation.  And that goes double for a corporation that relies upon
> intellectual property laws.

[*snippage*]

> Can't have it both ways.  It doesn't seem reasonable to accept government
> interference in the form of corporation laws and copyright laws, and decry
> government action to regulate the behavior of corporations and the use of
> IP.

Yes!  Excellent point!

In theory, I most certainly agree that government should be minimal and
markets should be free.  However, like you said, the current situation
with all of our ever-expanding patent, trademark, etc. law is most
definitely a miserable mess of state-sponsored monopolies.

Please take a look at one of the groups who are fighting the good fight
against overly-broad patents, those recent lousy trademark-extension
laws, etc. at :

  http://www.centerpd.org/

Ed

--