[CLUE-Talk] Legal breaking of the MS monopoly WAS: Re: [CLUE-Tech] HP laptop

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jan 17 13:15:27 MST 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 11:46, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Ed Hill wrote:
>
> > My new Thinkpad came with a shrink-wrap license that basically said I
> > must return the *entire* machine (not just the unwanted software) if I
> > didn't submit to the license for the MS software.  Thats baloney.  And
> > most new machines are shipping with these licenses, AFAIK...
>
> Ed or anyone else, can this be confirmed with paragraph numbers/etc?
> This is outrageous and needs to be talked about more.

The laptop was purchased directly from IBM around Nov 1st.  It arrived
in the usual cardboard shipping but, closest to to the laptop, it was
wrapped in a clear plastic bag with a sticker that said (and I'm
paraphrasing from memory so its not exact):

  Breaking this seal means that you agree to comply with the
  terms of the included software licensing agreement.  If you
  do not agree to these terms, you must return this unit and
  all peripherial devices for a refund.

At the time, I was angry because I was hoping to return the Windows OS
under the terms of the old EULA and ask for a refund.

I *do* wish I had saved that plastic bag but I think it went out with
the trash weeks ago.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD