[CLUE-Talk] AOL in Negotiations to buy Redhat Linux ?????

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 14:56:00 MST 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Richard Knechtel wrote:

> I think this could be VERY dangerous!  Me thinks AOL would buy up Red Hat
> and it will go the way of Netscape. It wouldn't surprise me any if M$ and
> AOL were in cahoots to take out Red Hat, as a starting point to take out
> Linux all together.

Oh, please. Red Hat !== Linux, and buying out Red Hat would do
nothing to help get rid of Linux. AOL has NOTHING to gain from
Linux leaving the picture.

> Tha fact remains that only M$ OS's get shipped with PC's. If AOL wants to
> keep their "sign me up" on the M$ desktop they have to play by M$'s
> ball.  Try to mail order pc's or go into a coputer store and buy a pc with
> another OS besides M$ (not include MAC). You really can't - unless you buy
> from IBM, they will still sell Linux PC's / laptops.

Yeah, exactly. Ever heard of MSN? Do you REALLY think that Microsoft
will continue to keep the AOL signup icon on the desktop (if they do
now) once the Anti-trust suit is settled? Not likely.

Microsoft is going full-bore to take over the ISP business, and AOL
is probably wanting Red Hat because they're the most recognized name
in Linux, plus they have solid assets in the embedded market and
some very talented people on staff.

If Red Hat is bought by AOL, look to see a decent AOLinux appliance
in the very near future, or for those freebie AOL disks to suddenly
have some useful software on them...

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart