[CLUE-Talk] AOL in Negotiations to buy Redhat Linux ?????

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Jan 19 17:28:06 MST 2002

John Kennedy wrote:

> What do you think about
>
> AOL being in Negotiations to buy Redhat Linux ?????

My take is that AOL doesn't have to buy Redhat to do any of the good things
mentioned.  A simple partnership would be adequate to get the AOL icon/software
into Redhat, and probably even encourage Redhat to be AOL friendly.  Purchase
means control and I'm not sure that's good news.

In the early days, AOL didn't use TCP/IP internally.  They had some
less-than-scalable protocol and when they went on their first mareketing blitz
and signed up way more customers than expected, the system crawled (anyone
remember that?)  Add their purchase of Netscape and I don't think they're
planning good stuff.

But I know nothing about the business side of the deal, so maybe they want to
buy Redhat because their plan will generate huge revenues that they want to
keep in house.

Dave