[CLUE-Talk] AOL in Negotiations to buy Redhat Linux ?????

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Tue Jan 22 09:14:25 MST 2002

AOL, although their online service is dumbed down, and their customer
service is lousy, is not GPL unfriendly.  They own Nullsoft, which has
several GPL'ed products, including a very nice windows installer maker
called NSIS, which I use at work for distributing windows apps.  Their
AOLServer is open source, although I am not positive of the license.
 Also large portions of their dynamic content is TCL based.  They may be
a good source for making a user friendly, if dumbed down desktop.
 Partner with a hardware maker, put a little polish on Open Office, and
they could make a PC that does everything that a user wants, but cut the
price to undercut an MS box because they know that 80% of them will use
the AOL service and they will get their money back there.

As for the Netscape disaster, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
 Mozilla is good, and Netscape 6.1/6.2 don't suck like 6.0 did.  It took
time to migrate a closed source app to the open source, but it seems to
be coming around.

I see the best application for this buy out to be a simple PC because
the cost is the same as an "applicance" and the functionality and
versatility is better.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.