[CLUE-Talk] OpenSouce Friendly ISP [WAS Re: [CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP]

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Sun Jan 27 19:34:51 MST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Collins Richey wrote:

> I must be blind to some of the problems.  Yes, I was out of service for a
> few days during the cutover to @attbi, but since then I've had nary a
> problem, nor do I care whether they support linux (or others) or not,
> since I'm sitting on a router (NetGear) that I only needed to touch to get
> the correct domain name for the @attbi service.  The email servers have
> been much more reliable than @home (they would take the server down on a
> whim).

<Rant>

I was down for 24 days.  And, they never got it right.  I can't tell you
what the problem was...just never worked.  I sat here with a packet sniffer
and told the Tier 2 guys I was not getting any response to my DHCP requests.

One could "see" my cable modem, another couldn't, one day there was a known
problem in my area, another day it was something else.

I spent over 30-hours on the phone, mostly on hold.  That isn't an exageration
either, I kept detailed notes for each phone call.  On four occaisions I
called, waited in the queue for 2+ hours, talked to Tier 1, and got dropped
on transfer to Tier 2...the only option was call back and get into the
Tier 1 queue again.

</Rant>

> As to the other matters, please help me understand why a company that has
> an express policy prohibiting you from running a server on their link (and
> thereby potentially sucking down the available bandwidth for everyone on
> the link) would be interested in helping you run a server?!  It would seem
> to me that a commercial offering is what you are describing rather that an
> individual user offering on @attbi.

I'm a DSL subscriber, and as one am allowed 640K downstream and 240K up.  I
believe I should be able to use that however I want...I'm paying for it.  I
don't expect my ISP to "support" or otherwise "help" me run a server, I can
do that on my own.

As I understand DSL (which may be wrong) they can and do limit my up and
downstream bandwidth.  So, there really isn't much chance of me "sucking
down the available bandwidth for everyone on the link".

I do understand that is a real possiblity with the cable architecture.

> Since I'm not trying to do that, I'm sitting here fat, dumb, and happy
> with the @attbi service.
>
> Not that it would not be nice to have a high-speed provider that offers
> the services you are looking for.

I just want someone who doesn't care if I want to run a home network of
unix boxes and do my own http, ftp, and email.

--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg