[CLUE-Talk] OpenSouce Friendly ISP [WAS Re: [CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP]

Dave Hahn dhahn at techangle.com
Sun Jan 27 21:41:59 MST 2002

Well, we (OpenSource Friendly ISPs) do exist, but the issue of high speed is
getting more difficult to provide.  The deal the cable companies have
excluding them having to open their network keeps 'open market' competion
away.  And, recently, when the local politicians decided that 'broadband
access for everyone' was interesing enough to make it a politcal concern it
hit the front page of the paper. QWest jumped to the forefront and said that
they hadn't extended their DSL network because 'they couldn't find a
business model that would justify building a multi-billion dollar network
that, due to regulation, they could not sell at retail prices.'  i.e. 'Let
us kick these other guys off our network and your dreams will come true.'

So, if the politicians go for that line, two of the three largely available
high speed technologies (DSL, Cable, and Fixed Wireless) will be tied up
with a *very* small number of providers.  So, the geography of availibility
may grow, but, I'm willing to bet, the price-point demographic will shrink
quite bit.  After all, they have always held to the theory that a smaller
number of customers paying more is better than a larger amount of customers
paying less.

<SOAPBOX/RANT>
Being an ISP and not being one of the large telecom providers puts you in an
interesting spot.  Not only is one of your vendors one of your competitors,
you have to fill the gap between customer expectations and upstream provider
failings.  It is not uncommon (lots of potenital for conspirarcy theories)
that a telecom provider will mysteriously 'have unexplained probelms' with
all the services for a particular, smaller provider.  We've had experiences
with providers that believe ISPs are an 8-5 service.  If we had problems on
a Saturday morning, those issues could wait until 8 AM Monday.

And, before you jump to the conclusion that diversity/mulit-homing is the
answer, remember that no matter who you buy services from in Colorado, you
will likely be riding QWest copper lines and receiving the grade of service
that they provide.

So, if you want to see/support OpenSource friendly ISPs, start buying what
services you can from those that already exist.  So, support your local ISPs
by voting with your money. (TechAngle isn't the only available.  I'm biased,
but honest.)  If you don't start 'voting' now, the choice may evaporate in
the future.
</SOAPBOX/RANT>