[CLUE-Talk] Legal breaking of the MS monopoly

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Wed Jan 30 16:34:02 MST 2002

>Oh, I get it -- you mean trying to register *someone else's* unpublished
>code as if it were your own.  Yep, definitely a bad move.
>
> --Matt.

However, if it was brought into court, it would have to be brought as
evidence, then it could be part of the public record....  Maybe...

Really, though, if the work is unpublished, but the corporation claims
that this is original code, what proof is there that this is indeed an
original work, and nor plagarism, if the work remains unpublished?
 There is a possibility that some of the code I wrote has been hijacked
(not a good chance) and is being used against my will for the profit of
others.  How can these controls be better enforced with an unpublished
work?  Is there a precedent?  The Vanilla Ice scandal where he claimed
to have written the music that was also in the song Under Pressure may
provide some insight.  How can we be sure that no GPL code has been
stolen for a closed source product?

I have no beef with commercial software, however, the only reason for
closing the source is to exclude fair competition.  This is especially
true with OS products.  The only reason to close those is to limit which
application can run with them, and to limit where the applications
designed for them can run.  I provides no real advantage.  Solaris comes
with source.  MVS (OS/390) for mainframes comes with source.  ERP and
packaged applications like PeopleSoft or GEAC Payroll come with source.
 Why is there this one little hole called the desktop where this is not
true?