[CLUE-Talk] [OT] A Call to Action

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Jul 13 17:21:54 MDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 04:18:46PM -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> > While we're doing the autobiography thing, here's mine: I spent most of
> > my formative years in Madison, WI, and went to college in Eugene, OR.
>
> Eugene? No kidding. I can't remember though, did that make you a Duck or
> or Beaver?

Quack.

> Well, Matt, I won't flog this if you're bailing on it. But thanks for the
> info.

I'm not exactly bailing. I just prefer to spend my time on discussions
that will lead to action in the (very) near future. And I've created a
forum for that purpose. If people want to have the type of discussion on
CLUE-Talk too, I'm fine with that, and will participate, though I'd
rather see it move to the FREA group since probably not all CLUE members
are interested in this, and many people other than CLUE members are
interested in doing something about the economy. What I meant was that I
don't wish to spend any more time on purely abstract (or historical)
discussions, or on defending the general type of action I favor--that
is, grassroots, locally-focused, group action.

As for the substance of your argument, I agree that neither local currency
nor any other single strategy is a panacea, and it might turn out that
we need to pursue several courses of action to really make a difference.

The central point for me is that we, here in Colorado, are in a tough
spot, and depending on corporations is not going to get us out of it. So
what can we, here and now, do to improve our economic lives? Some people
favor individual action. So they can go act individually, and I wish
them well. I favor group action, and say to anyone who agrees, let's
decide what to do and then do it.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA