[CLUE-Talk] [OT] A Call to Action

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Sun Jul 14 20:39:41 MDT 2002

The problem with communism is that although it is a nice ideal, human
nature wrecks it.  It only takes a few selfish mooches to wreck it for
everyone.  Thus, capitalism is probably the best economic system for the
real world.  The free market works in the real world.

So, how does Linux work so well in a communistic way (everyone taking
care of each other, an no one reall owning the code for themselves)?
Well, the cost of the mooches is very low.  The cost of those who just
download ISO's and never contribute code or buy a distro is just
bandwidth.  Not so expensive.

Most government instituted communism has been coupled with a
totalitarian government.  This is a nasty combination of oppression and
no one with the means to fight it since no one can accumulate wealth.
However, with Linux because of the fact that the code is open, there is
no way that anyone can take power or force actions by force.  Those who
feel oppressed can just fork.

So, we have communism in a situation which prevents oppression and at
the same time reduces the cost of mooching.

Now, then, closed source is oppression.  It gives the power to the few,
and takes away from the masses.  This may have been created in a free
market, but it is not at all a democracy.  The very fact that Linux is
open allows many people to distribute as the like makes it possible for
a truly freem market.  Strangely enough, communism in the source code
provides the opportunity for capitalism in the services, support, and
distribution.

I am a professional developer.  The money they pay me is SO MUCH more
than they spend on the software I use.  This is true for everyone in our
office, even the administrative staff.

The point?  Linux has a communism of source, but a free market
(capitalism) for everything else, and the cost of the software itself is
such a small drop in the bucket.  Overall, it is much more free market
than closed source created in the free market.