[CLUE-Talk] Re: A Call to Action

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Jul 15 01:35:32 MDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 07:02:27PM -0600, mazi farhang wrote:

> I know from what I've read in this group that, aside from being mere
> enthusiasts, a lot of you make your living in the information technology
> arena,

Who's making a living?

> also used to questioning the status quo and opting for better solutions,
> despite all odds (isn't that what Linux is all about).
>
> However, I think that there have been many experiments in shunning the
> present economic system and coming up with one that has some perceived
> advantage over it.

What country are you living in? Must be a different one from where I
live. I'm not talking about utopian fantasies, I'm talking about a
response to a major economic crisis, which in my opinion is just getting
started.  Apparently you don't think there's any crisis. Well, how nice
for you.

> Unfortunately, these experiments have mostly been flawed.

In what way? How do you know?

> What is the point is setting up a separate monetary system, when we already
> have the most coveted system in the world at our disposal?  Why would we
> want to deprive ourselves from a liquid market for our currency?  This new
> currency wouldn't just sprout up out of nowhere; it would have to have some
> type of backing.  Who will be backing this money?  If we have to commit $$
> to be able to support LETS, why not just use $$?

I suggest you find out what a LETS system is before you criticize it.
And read what I wrote before you criticize *it*.

> So you want to keep some money in the local region?  I would suggest that
> you first work on a buy-local campaign.  This would in itself increase the
> circulation of money within our own area.
  [ snip ]
> increase in their costs).  That may be OK for many of us as individuals, but
> I doubt if it would have much support in the corporate arena, or for anyone
> who is competing on a regional or national scale.

And that is a problem because ... ?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA