[CLUE-Talk] Re: A Call to Action

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Jul 15 18:10:16 MDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 05:33:32PM -0600, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Monday 15 July 2002 01:35 am, Matt Gushee wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, these experiments have mostly been flawed.
> >
> > In what way? How do you know?
>
> Well, how about communism?  Surely, it is hard to argue that its
> implementation in USSR was successful.

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff ... get a grip. I'm not talking about communism. You
are.

> No one is saying that capitalism is perfect, but to this point it's better
> than anything the alternatives.

How do you know? Have you ever experienced anything other than
American-style laissez-faire capitalism? Have you seriously studied
other economic systems? (I have done both)

> So, being a pragmatic person -- what are alternatives to capitalism that
> actually have a chance of surviving for the long term?  Why would a LETS
> system help address this deeper problem of greed in humans?

What makes you think it is intended to do that? LETS is nothing more or
less than local exchange system that operates alongside a conventional
currency in a capitalistic marketplace.

> > > increase in their costs).  That may be OK for many of us as individuals,
> > > but I doubt if it would have much support in the corporate arena, or for
> > > anyone who is competing on a regional or national scale.
> >
> > And that is a problem because ... ?
>
> Contrary to Matt's current opinion -- unless everyone becomes a farmer how
> else would folks support themselves and their families besides working for
> someone else, such as a corporation?

Okay, that is way over the line. Please keep my opinions out of it
until you understand them.

> Sure, we could return to the days of
> artisans and guilds and barter goods and services.  Currency systems are
> successful because they are more efficient than bartering systems.  Now that

And LETS is not barter, it is a currency system. As I have already
stated at least twice in the course of this discussion.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com