[CLUE-Talk] [OT] A Call to Action

Matthew Porter mfporter at c-creature.com
Mon Jul 15 21:24:51 MDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:04:36 -0600
Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

---clip---

>   * LETS or a local currency system
>
>     LETS stands for either Local Exchange Trading System or the
>     word "let's," or something else, depending who you ask. It
>     is a kind of virtual currency system, operated by and for
>     people and businesses in a given community. In essence,
>     LETS and other local currency systems increase people's
>     buying power by increasing the local money supply.
>     Beginning in the mid-70s, successful LETS systems and local
>     currencies have been established in dozens of communities
>     throughout the industrialized world.

---clip---

Anyone interested in alternate economies, alternate currencies,
barter systems, and the like should be sure to read Bruce
Sterling's short story "Maneki Neko," which I think is reprinted
in the collection _A Good Old-Fashioned Future_.  I won't go into
detail here (unless someone wants me to) but I will say that I
think I'd love to be part of a "network" of the kind Sterling
describes, and I'd be very happy to participate in a project to
make it happen.

 --Matt.

Matthew F. Porter
Golden, Colorado