[CLUE-Talk] An interesting implication for security for users of Mozilla

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Jul 23 19:47:44 MDT 2002

Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Look for a menu item for "compacting" your folders. That should do the
> trick. At least, that's what I remember from my old days running netscape.

NS (and I assume Mozilla) keep a mail file and an index file.  The index
is what is loaded to show you the window with subj, from, date, etc.
columns.  Part of the index is a pointer to the messages location in the
mail file, so moving messages requires rebuilding the index (so it
doesn't happen for every delete).

Look in Preferences -> Offline & Disk Space.  There is a box to check
that will auto compact if the wasted space gets too big.

Dave