[CLUE-Talk] UCITA status

charlie oriez coriez at oriez.org
Tue Jul 30 21:49:41 MDT 2002

By now I assume that everyone has seen Red Hat's anti UCITA letter and the
related coverage.

Just in case:
http://www.ucitaonline.com/docs/ltrtoComPost.htm

Per an article posted this afternoon at ZDNET, the commissioners will not be
voting until Thursday.  Debate has run longer than expected.  Probably lots
of lobbying going on.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-947182.html

One problem.  The list of Colorado commissioners in theregister is obsolete.
That makes me suspect that the others are too.

Among Dems the most influential ought to be Bill Thiebaut, since he is their
nominee for Lieutenant Governor.  Matt Smith seems to have the most tech
knowledge on the GOP side and would therefor hopefully be influential with
them.  Neither appears on the commissioner list that newsforge/theregister
put out.  AFFECT had the current list.  I got suspicious when I saw Russell
George's name.  I knew he had left the legislature, and NCCUSL, two years ago
to become head of DOW.  Sorry I dont have the complete list ready to hand.

repmattsmith at qwest.net
billthiebaut at qwest.net

Emails tomorrow might be useful.  Each state gets one vote.  We need 50% plus
1 for the Colorado delegation to vote our way.

CLUE should consider adding its name to the anti UCITA coaltion.  Your call,
of course.  AITP is voting now and will probably add its name to the list as
soon as we complete the vote, probably in a couple of days.  AFFECT has done
a really good job fighting this thing state by state.  I spent a couple of
days at the NCSL conference in Denver with a couple of their lobbyists, and
was very impressed with them.  I thought I knew a fair amount about lobbying
until I listened to them.

http://affect.ucita.com/

Charles Oriez, coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
...Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across
the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and
shouting GERONIMO!!! -- Bill McKenna, date unknown