[CLUE-Talk] Installfest Continued

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Jun 10 10:17:13 MDT 2002

Mike Benavides wrote:

> The Date in next Saturday June 14
>
> >From 9:00am-3:00pm

Actually Mike means June 15th ;-)

If you follow other local Linux lists and haven't seen an announcement
on them, feel free to post an invite.  We usually get some people from
up north.

I have been thinking about doing some sort of theme or other organized
presentation at installfests.  So for this 'fest I thought I'd sit down
in the morning (and again in the afternoon if it seems useful) to talk
to any newbies that show up.  I'd talk about a brief intro to Linux (I
could probably go 30-60 min on that topic, but I'll only do about 5 this
time) and then answer questions.  The goal is to make non-Linux (perhaps
even non-technical) people more comfortable with the lingo, technology,
and support in the Linux community.

If you have any suggestions on how to accomplish that goal, I'd be happy
to hear them.  In the long term it might be nice to do an intro
presentation at every 'fest but I'm only beginning to get the outline
down.

On the theme idea, we could do a demo or presentation about things that
are too long or hands-on to cover at a regular meeting.  A few months
back there was talk about network security help, so we could help people
set up iptables and have a probing/scanning machine there to test the
configs (and show people how to do that piece themselves).

We could also do things like demos of games or other "cool apps" that
people might be interested in.  All that is a little ways down the road
though.

But don't be shy about letting us know what you like or don't like about
installfest.  Since all the volunteers have limited time to spend on
CLUE things, the hardest part is figuring out what the audience wants to
see.

Dave