[CLUE-Talk] Comments on Zaurus handheld?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Wed Jun 26 17:20:42 MDT 2002

On Sunday 23 June 2002 08:00 pm, Matthew Porter wrote:
> I'm in the market for a PDA, and naturally I'm drawn to Sharp's
> linux-based Zaurus.  Does anyone have any experience or
> information about this unit that they could share?

I purchased the SL-5500 about a month ago.  Works great and I highly
recommend it.  Get it from BMT Micro in California -- I got it for $420 +
shipping ($30 for 2 days).

Check out my new home page for my review:
 + http://jefferycann.com/

> Some of the things that matter to me are physical durability,
> battery life, and the ability to sync calendar and contact info
> with both Windows and Linux desktops.

Durable - yes -- but I haven't dropped it!
Sync - yes -- use the QTopia desktop, which runs on Windows & Linux
Battery - yes - I typically sync / charge once a week.

My only caveat is that Windows NT does not support USB.  USB is the only
serial connection that comes with the sync / recharge cradle.  You can buy a
serial cable (9 pin) for $30-40 if you want to sync with Windows NT.  The
_only_ reason I was interested is because my workstation at work is Windows
NT.  If you want W 98/ 2000/ XP -- they all support USB.

If you want to test drive it at the July meeting, drop me a note.
Jeff