[CLUE-Talk] PHP vs ASP leads to a call for action to the next revolution

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Mon Mar 4 10:02:18 MST 2002

In the latest Netcraft survey, a vulnerable version of PHP (there was a
recent security fix for file uploads) was found on 8.4 million servers.
  Compiling PHP into Apache takes extra work.  As a comparison, IIS has
only 11 million servers (no comment on security vulnerable numbers, but
has been high when tested in the past).

With Apache at 55% and IIS at 34% with Other being the 11% left, what
will it take to make IIS an "also ran?"  There was a time not so long
ago where PHP as ana Apache module outnumbered IIS.  How can we make
this a reality again?

MS has decided that we are the enemy and will do anything they can to
destroy us.  They are even pushing for legislation that would in effect
outlaw Open Source Software (the SSSCA).

Time to fight back the way that MS claims to, but OSS really can,
innovate.  What is needed to make OSS win?  What would set us enough
above NT to make CTO's sit up and take notice?  IBM and Sun have adopted
Linux.  It is legitimized.  Now, it has to be so far superior that no
amount of marketing hype can make a dent.  It must do things that MS
hasn't even dreamed of yet.  Things that would be difficult to "embrace,
extend, and extinguish."

We are on the eve of a new era in computing.  Bandwidth is here (dark
fiber is just waiting for an application) open standards can now
propagate across the net with or without a big corporation behind them,
and the wild west has settled a bit.  We are in that period between the
bandits and every man for himself of the wild west and the drudgery of
every day metropolitan life.  Now is the time to become the next revolution.