[CLUE-Talk] Re: MS Passport Linux equivalent

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Tue Mar 12 14:02:37 MST 2002

That is what Passport is.  As far as I know, Hailstorm is the method for
distributing personal information.  Such as:  You buy something at an
online store, and are logged in to Passport, then they can get your
shipping address from MS via Hailstorm, but I am not sure.

.Net is a common runtime for partially compiled code, like the Java JVM,
but many languages, one platform instead of the Java one language, many
platforms idea.  This sounds good because of being able to take the
languages you already know, and mix them with the languages someone else
already knows, then distribute the processing of those modules to the
client machines, but it doesn't quite work.  First, there is a steep
learning curve, even on languages you already know because of the common
runtime, you need to reduce all languages to the least common
denominator.  Second, it is a JIT setup, which means that a lot of the
Java performance problems are there, without the advantages.

The concept of distributable, discrete modules is a good one, especially
if the whole grid computing thing catches on, but cross platform will
probably be more important than cross language.