[CLUE-Talk] Intriguing project

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu May 2 22:12:00 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002 21:04:04 -0600
Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> > You're kidding, right?  My email editor should emulate vi -
> > absolutely!  If you're writing an email program, why do you have to
> > write an editor for it - just plug in vi or emacs (user's choice).
> > Elm did that, can't gui programs do it too?  Maybe I'm too idealistic.
>
> Not at all. It's happening already--check out KVim:
>
>   http://www.freehackers.org/kvim/index.html
>
> > One thing puzzles me.  The IDEs I've seen can do many things for you
> > but they aren't very programmable.  So if they don't do what you need
> > (or they don't do it the way you'd like) you're stuck.  Don't
> > programmers prefer programmable tools?
>
> Within reason. I dropped XEmacs for ViM because I wanted to spend a
> little less time programming my tools.

LOL. I haven't heard a good Emacs zing for a while ;-)

But, if any of these IDEs use gnome, then there's the Gnome-Vim bonobo
component:  http://www.opensky.ca/gnome-vim/
Evolution screenshot:
  http://www.opensky.ca/gnome-vim/gnome-vim.png

Hmmm, wonder if I can get that to work with Sylpheed?

jed
--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine