[CLUE-Talk] Colorado's No-Call List

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sat May 11 15:55:47 MDT 2002

On Saturday 11 May 2002 01:06 pm, jbrockmeier at earthlink.net wrote:

> Yes, I do have the right to refuse people the right to ring my
> doorbell (well, I don't actually have a doorbell, but that's not
> really the point...).

Just because you THINK you have the right to refuse to allow people to ring
your (non existent) doorbell does not mean you actually have a legal right to
do so.

> I don't own my apartment, either -

Because you don't own your apartment means you have tenant rights, yet
another specific type of legal rights afforded to you.  These are different
than real property rights.  However, one of the basic rights for tenants is
the right against unlawful searches (i.e., the right to privacy).  It's
actually a constitutional right.

Your landowner does have the legal right to enter your apartment under
certain circumstances.  For example, suppose you are suspected of operating a
meth lab.  Suppose the cops have a warrant to search your apartment for meth
lab materials.  The cops knock with the warrant, but you are not home.  The
landlord is obligated legally to let the cops in to your apartment.  This
would not be true if you owned a house.  Only the owner would be able to let
the cops in.

Check Article 13 of the Colorado Revised Statutes, these are the laws that
govern your tenant and landlord rights:

  + http://64.78.178.12/cgi-dos/stattocp.exe?P&ttl=38&art=12

> but I still have the right to deny salesmen and so forth the right to knock
> on my door.

So, you also have the right to deny the police to knock on your door or
anyone else?  I don't think so.

Let me make a distinction between 1) entering your apartment and 2) knocking
on your door.

The first point is protected under the Colorado and U.S. Bill of Rights.
Here's the text for the Colorado Bill of Rights:

Article II Section 7.   Security of person and property - searches - seizures
- warrants. The people shall be secure in their persons, papers, homes and
effects, from unreasonable searches and seizures; and no warrant to search
any place or seize any person or things shall issue without describing the
place to be searched, or the person or thing to be seized, as near as may be,
nor without probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation reduced to
writing.

The second point is AFAIK not protected by any laws.  A phone call is the
same as knocking on your door.  The caller does not enter your property (in
your case apartment).  Therefore, your thoughts that your rights are
protected as if he were trespassing do not apply.

You do have the right to ask the person to leave your front door, just as you
have the right to ask the person not to call you any more.  There is no
difference between the knock on the door and a phone call.

> So, I don't really think the argument about whether or not I actually own
> my phone line matters -

Well, two posts ago, that was your point, here's your quote:

"Since I pay for my phone line, I consider it my right to refuse anyone the
right to call me."

I read this as you think that a) you own the phone line, because you 'pay for
my phone line' and b) because you own (pay for) the phone line, its yours.
Therefore c) you have the same rights as you would for other personal
property.  If I misread, I apologize.

> There are laws that recognize a person's "right" to the PHONE
> NUMBER which is actually what's being abused. I believe there are laws
> in place that are supposed to protect a person's ability to transfer
> a phone number if they switch service.

Again, the unsubstantiated 'there are laws' does not change my mind.  Only
evidence, such as a legal brief or link to a statute that explains this will
sway me.

> If the vast majority of people hate telemarketing, then I see no reason why
> it can't be gotten rid of.

Let's back up to 1930's Germany:

"If the vast majority (of Germans) hate Jews, then I don't see whey they
cannot be 'gotten rid of'. "

Seen in another light, I think your comments are obviously dangerous.  This
is my point with respect to this part of our debate.  Sure, the genocide of a
culture is certainly not the same as annoying telemarketers.  My point still
stands that once you start delineating between what the 'majority wants' and
sensible laws that limit bias, you have major problems on your hand.  1930's
Germany was the result of institutionalized bias by their government.

> but that's largely a failure of the populace to pay attention to what their
> elected officials are doing.

I suppose we could debate this for a while.  What about the bias from
politicians caused by election donations?  I agree that we citizens are on
the hook for a number of things, but the blame is not 'largely' our fault.
Maybe 60/40?

Interestingly, despite the majority against telemarketing, how can you
explain the fact that the majority wanted 'opt-in', but the law was written
to be 'opt-out'.  Is this somehow largely the fault of the citizens or is
there some other force at work, such as lobbyists for the telemarketing
industry?

> These are apples and oranges.

No they aren't.  You seem to believe the right to own a phone is guaranteed
by law.  It isn't.  Just like a driver's license -- it's a privledge, not a
right.

> I don't see why this is a bad thing. If you pay for it, it's should
> be yours to use as your private property until you cease paying for
> it.

If I don't like the speed limits on the roads, because my taxes pay for the
roads and I own my car can you honestly tell me that you'll be able to ignore
them without consequence?

Don't take this personally, but it doesn't matter what you think with respect
to property.  What matters what is the current law.

The fact is that you signed an agreement with your phone provider.  In
exchange for money, you get phone service.  The phone company still owns the
phone lines.  You are paying for the SERVICE -- i.e., the privilege to make
and receive calls.  Since you do not own the line, you have no property
rights.

Later,
Jeff