[CLUE-Talk] Seeking recommendations for computer builder

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Sat May 18 12:12:37 MDT 2002

On 05-15 02:01, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 11:54:35AM -0600, BOF wrote:
> >I'm in the market for a new desktop system, and am seeking
> >recommendations for someone who can build a good quality one to run
> >Linux (only).
>
> Based on most of my experience with "clone builders", I'd have to say that
> if you really mean "good quality", that you should look at IBM, Dell, one
> of those sorts...  They really put together some pretty sweet hardware, if
> things like adequate case aerodynamics and quality of chassis setup is
> important.  Plus their other parts tend to be good quality as well.

I've been eyeing these guys for over a year now, and finally placed an order
with them...the delivery was attempted via UPS yesterday, but no one was
here to sign. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it Monday. The site is:

http://www.micronux.com

My only beef so far is that they did not email me when it shipped, so I
could not track the order. Also, there is no order-tracking page on their
site that I am aware of. When I called to ask the status, they were able to
tell me that they were burning it in, and that it would be shipping out
Monday (last Monday)...which is what actually happened, according to the UPS
ticket I had on my door.

If I have any issues/kudos on the actual hardware and such when it comes,
I'll post here, if anyone cares. They offer all name-brand parts, as well as
various aluminum cases. They are linux-friendly(only RH and Mandrake), and
it looks like they just added OpenOffice 1.0 as part of the deal. Not paying
any M$ tax is a big plus. When I bought a Dell online back in 2000, not
paying for some M$ OS was not an option, IIRC, and that is still the case
today, I think, and while I have no complaints per se about the machine I
got, paying M$ by default chafes. Of course, I am in no way associated with
these guys, and YMMV.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome