[CLUE-Talk] MPAA and Senate...again

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri May 24 09:22:20 MDT 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002 08:49:28 -0600
"Crawford Rainwater" <crawford.rainwater at itec-co.com> wrote:

> From Slashdot.org, "MPAA to Senate: Plug the Analog Hole!"
> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/05/23/2355237.shtml?tid=97
>
> As quoted in the article,
> Cory Doctorow writes: "this is a much more sweeping (and less
> visible) power-grab than the Hollings Bill, and it's going
> forward virtually unopposed. ...the Broadcast Protection Discussion
> Group is bare weeks away from turning over a veto on new technologies
> to Hollywood."
>
> There is a comments form available as well as Doctorow's
> article on "the analog hole" for EFF links in there.
>
> Having not read the whole thing completely, just this, it
> seems a variant of the CBDTPA (formerly SSSCA) bill, but
> don't quote me on that one (yet).

I can just hear Ronnie: "Here we go again." (Not that he'd necessarily say
that about this, but I've always liked the way he said it.)

Just a note. From my reading, this is a "report" not a bill. Doesn't mean
there isn't a high level of concern necessary though. If there's any
consolation, I would expect a high degree of opposition from manufacturers
of all manner of electronic test equipment, embedded control devices,
diagnostic equipment, etc.

I notice the report is being sent to the Judiciary. That's the turf of
Sen. Trent Lott, who stepped on the CBDTPA. That, at least, is moderately
hopeful.

Anyone who's read Lawrence Lessig can see where this is going. Guess it's
time to round up the usual Representative. (Man, I wish I hadn't
accidentally deleted all that CBDTPA e-mail.)

jed