[CLUE-Talk] FBI Gets Broad Domestic Spy Powers

Joe Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu May 30 22:35:40 MDT 2002

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Thus spoke Jeffery Cann
>
>>Whatever.  My gripe about this announcement is the incredible lack of checks
>>and balances.  What's to stop over zealous FBI field agents from pursing /
>>harassing / building 'files' on folks considered out of the norm?
>

> You're starting to sound paranoid Jeff.  That's the polite version of my
> reply.  I toned it *waaaaaay* down.

Paranoid? Hardly. It's not as if the FBI/CIA have never been found to
abuse their powers. This is an invitation to do so even more.

Granted, if they are caught with their hands in the cookie jar - so to
speak - they might get them slapped, but only after they've severely
damaged a few lives along the way.

> The DMCA is relevant to CLUE because of it's direct attack of open source.
> The FBI's expanded powers are only remotely so.  Let's try to keep the
> discussions relevant, please.

This may not be quite as relevant to Linux, but this is a general
discussion list - and I've seen quite a few posts that are far, far less
relevant.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe