[CLUE-Talk] ONLamp.com: Selling Open Source to Management [November 13, 2002]

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed Nov 13 17:48:27 MST 2002

Matt,

I wasn't referring to legal software, but software that you have legally
purchased, i.e. some people have purchased upgrade packages (or
bootlegged copies) WITHOUT purchasing the full licenses!!  The comment
was more about the TIME it takes to be in compliance with MS licensing
requirements and the audits needed to ensure compliance.  This adds to
the cost of owning MS software, does it not?  So, we have a full gamit
of who's and what's involved with buying MS liceses: data and user
migration, installation, configuration, maintenance, license auditing
and compliance (i.e. lawyers), training and education, user acceptance,
etc issues.

Richard,

Quality is defined and determined by the customer AND a
business/organization.  You can have a high quality and/or a high VALUE
product/service and there is a range of them depending on business and
customer needs.

Kevin